Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cultural Warrior?

So I saw Bill O'Reily being interviewed this morning on a Christian TV Show and he talked about his book and the "cultural war" being fought in the United States. There are "traditional warriors" and "secular-progressives" battling out for control of the country and the basis of our law. He basically says the "s-p"s are trying to shift the basis of our laws from the judeo-christian roots they currently have to completely secular ones and that, in turn, will ruin the nation.

I'm a little unsure what I think of this point. I am a strong Christian and believe myself to be a moral individual. And I tend to lean towards conservative Replubican ideas. But I believe the role of the government is to facilitate communal living - not impose morals on others or to micro-manage our lives. I think drugs should not be illegal, I think abortion is a woman's choice, I think the state should not give Marriage Licenses but Civil Unions to all couples (gay or straight) and churches should decide on marriages. I believe it is the Church's duty to take care of the old and poor, not the government. Personally, I would never do drugs, have an abortion, or live a gay lifestyle - and I would council any friends against these things, but in the end - it is their decision and something that they are only accountable to God for, not the government.

I took a little poll on O'Reily's website to see if I was a warrior or "s-p"....I lean towards being a warrior. But I don't know if I feel the government needs to have a Christian base or if we Christians just need to step up and do our jobs like we are commissioned by God to do in the Bible. Love our neighbors, do good to those who hate us, take care of the poor, the elderly, the prisoners. Will that example and leadership (if we were all to do it) not be enough to keep our country great without the law stating it to be? People need guideance - look at our current housing loan situation - did the banks really think it good business to give out crazy loans and that the innevitable horrible outcomes didn't concern them?

I just don't know. I guess I feel educated and enlightened and like I know what is right to do and others should know that too. But, I realize people don't just "know" that - they need to be taught. I'm just not sure what the best method to do so is. Ideally, it would be the church teaching, but if they don't step up - maybe I need to support the government doing it. Maybe I need to focus my energy more on encouraging my church to teach and reach out and make a difference.

No comments: